The program will consist of seven modules to be purchased individually for professional development or as a complete series with the goal being a Certificate awarded to recognize this achievement. The course modules include:
Module 1: An Introduction & History of Digital Pathology
- Participants will be provided an explanation of the goals, processes and overviews of modules.
- Define the major Environments – Clinical (academic, private & reference labs), Research and Education of digital pathology
- Understand the History/Background/Evolution of Digital Pathology - and be able to articulate the General Advantages and Disadvantages including the value proposition of digital pathology (e.g. ROI, benefits vs. costs).
- Differentiate between Telepathology systems: Static Digital Image Capture, Dynamic or Robotic Image Capture
Module 2: Basics of the Technology
- Define whole slide imaging systems, components, framework, hardware and software
- Review scanners, viewers and computer monitors
- Discuss IT Infrastructure, storage (image life cycle management), databases, interoperability
- Discuss the process of image capture, viewing, storage and management
Module 3: Use Cases for Digital Pathology
- Identify and discuss clinical, educational, research and histology uses for digital pathology.
- Understand future/potential clinical uses and how it will affect the pathology lab.
- Explain how use cases could be applied for your current lab practice.
Module 4: Selecting and Implementing a Digital Pathology Solution
- Participants will learn how to establish requirements for selecting a digital pathology solution
- The module will discuss how to assess digital pathology systems – Hardware & Software (network capabilities)
- Review IT connectivity and image storage considerations
- A brief explanation of image and pathologist validation
- Sample Preparation – Histology
- An introduction to best practices/standards
Module 5: Workflow Considerations & Best Practice Standards
- Define a workflow that will best fit into your lab environment
- Define ‘best practices’
- An introduction to understanding what is required for quality and compliance (verification, validation and regulations)
- Training and competency for digital pathology
- Managing change control for the digital environment
Module 6: Image Analysis
- Understand the importance of Image Analysis in Digital Pathology
- Learn how to implement image analysis solutions
- Introduce some commercially available platforms for image analysis
Module 7: Regulatory Requirements & Validations
- Regulatory overview including CAP regulatory requirements for Digital Pathology
- Verification and Validation for Clinical Specimens
- Validation for Research Specimens
- Validation in Education and Training